Thursday, January 03, 2008

Iowa Caucus

Curiosity got the best of me... so being the good Iowan I am ... I caucused.

The republican caucus for Humboldt County was held at the courthouse in Dakota City. We arrived at about 6:30 (it started at 7) and by the time we made it up the stairs the line was out the door.

Pictured here is one of our parishioners, Kay Kollmorgan.


This is the line as we started to head up the stairs.


Here is the courtroom (where they thought everyone would fit) a few minutes after we got in there. The guy in the lower left of the picture is the other pastor at our church (Pastor Raether).


Here are 2 of the ladies I went with to the caucus. My friend Marla and her daughter Morgan. She is only 13 (Morgan not Marla) but is very interested in politics. They stayed after to help count votes and Morgan will probably be a junior delegate.


Here is a picture of the courtroom as we 'voted'. Voting consisted of writing down the candidate of your choice and your precinct on a piece of paper. They had WAY more people turn out than they expected so as soon as we voted we left the courtroom so others could filter in and cast their vote.


This is the hallway just outside the courtroom as we tried to get back downstairs. As we left there were still people waiting outside to get in to caucus.
It was an interesting event and I'm glad I went.

No comments: