Thursday, August 31, 2006

Adventure Experienced

Our Montana trip was a true adventure of sorts! It started off with a LONG drive through North Dakota and Montana. We wondered what we were getting into when the first mile marker in Montana on highway 2 was the Number of the Beast!!! Thats 666 if you didn't know...

We arrived at our planned hike in point on Tuesday morning. We were at the Meadow Creek Trailhead on the south fork of the Flathead River south of the Hungry Horse Reservoir. We got everything ready and took off hiking with the dogs only to find the trails poorly marked and our map even more poorly marked! After about 3 hours of aimlessly hiking back and forth trying to find the right trail - we DID find the right trail. Then I got crabby. Really crabby. I could blame it on being pregnant but that would be a lie! I just wanted to know how much further we were going to have to hike -- this was an answer no-one had!

Turns out it was a mere three miles until we dropped in by the river and found the perfect site to set up camp! Here's a pic. of our site. Maci is standing near the water on a rock.

We quickly settled in at our site and got ready for a few days of doing a whole lot of nothing. We actually did a little bit of fishing but mostly a lot of nothing. Emily and Aaron caught about 20 fish (all cutthroat trout). I tried once but Aaron took the fly off my line because I just kept wrapping it around my body. So I got to PRACTICE casting (it's not easy when you're fly fishing) without any dangerous hooks attached to my line. Below is a pic. of Emily fishing in our main fishing hole.

This is a picture of me and my dogs after I woke up from a nap on the rocks. I had to use my Therm-a-Rest to get comfortable (this is evidence that I am not a TRUE Flatau). Aaron and Emily were able to sleep right on the rocks. Those Flataus can sleep anywhere! Maci and Rowdy both preferred the Therm-a-Rest as well.

We actually ate very well during our stay in the wilderness thanks to Emily carrying in all the food. The Mountain House freeze dried meals are quite tasty and QUITE high in sodium. We were always full and even had food left over. Below is a picture of me preparing some tasty barbecue/bean/turkey/rice/hamburger sort of thing, along with a side of delicious Maruchan instant lunch. Aaron and Emily did all the cooking so I owe them a big thank you....


We hiked out after 3 nights of relaxation. We weren't very clean so we bought $8 showers in West Glacier and they were worth every penny! After the showers we started the long journey across Montana again.

At the very end of Montana we realized that there were indeed 667 miles of Highway 2, not the aforementioned 666. I still think we would have been allright even if there would have been a beastly 666 miles.

It turned out to be a fantastic trip -- just what I needed. Since visiting the wild my energy and general sense of well-being has returned. Hooray for Montana, mountains, and wilderness!!

No comments: